“Engineering Stress”

January 26, 2010 at 9:28 pm 7 comments

By Carol A. Metzner
President, The Metzner Group, LLC and
Managing Partner, A/E/P Central, LLC home of CivilEngineeringCentral.com

In this BLOG, engineering stress does not refer to a “measure of the intensity or internal distribution of the total internal forces acting within a deformable body across imaginary surfaces.” Here I am referring to the physiological demand many of us are experiencing in response to the ever changing  engineering marketplace.

My colleagues and I were on a conference call about our recruiting assignments and the conversation went off onto a tangent.  Those minutes that we talked about something other than our projects had me laughing and I felt stress melting away. I was much more productive for the hours following that call.

This started me thinking, how can the civil engineering community pull together and destress, if only for a while? I ran an Internet search and found over 28,000 results for 2009, ASCE and golf!  Seems each ASCE chapter has some sort of annual golf charity. A great stress reliever and way to enjoy networking. Other association dinner meetings, luncheon seminars on topics other than work and corporate sponsored volunteer events provide avenues to spend time with colleagues in a non stress environment.

Social networking sites, like LinkedIn and FACEBOOK have also provided an opportunity for many of us to take a break, decompress and correspond (quickly) with our colleagues in a non-stressful environment.

Do you have other ideas or suggestions? Please tell us!

Entry filed under: Civil Engineering, civil engineering blog, The Workplace. Tags: .

How About Asking Yourself What’s Right? If You Had To Do It All Over Again, What Would You Change?

• 1. John O  |  May 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Sporting events, concerts, golf, etc. are all good ideas to relieve stress. One can also volunteer in their community. Personally, I found that planting a tree and doing yardwork was a great stress reliever. For those that have kids, spend as much time as you can with them and the stress will melt away and stay away longer! Seeing the world through a childs eyes, rememberiing how you once saw it, will surely bring a smile to your face and set the endoriphins and seratonin flowing!

• 2. Civil engineering  |  February 11, 2010 at 4:47 am

That’s nice, you did.. After all engineering is the basic need of today’s technology.

• 3. Brandon Lee  |  February 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

One of my last workplaces were in a softball league. That could be good or bad I think.

I picture the TV show, The Office, right now where they all turn off the lights and play a FPS PC Game together. As odd as this may sound, I could picture having a movie day in the office being extremely productive. Another job was very okay with the workers being very social during the workday whenever they wanted. Just anything to make it seem as though you aren’t thinking super hard for the entire day for 5 days straight. Obviously this can be abused very easily, but I think it’s pretty obvious who and why people would abuse a little bit of fun time at the office. That’s a pretty big hint of who is not worth keeping around.

• 4. Kerry Harding  |  January 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I have found a great destresser is to help a young professional who is just entering the job market. It may be something as simple as referring them to a job board which focuses on their expertise, helping them craft their first resume or taking their first resume and making it market-ready. I’ve discovered that there are many things that, with 30 years of experience, I take for granted knowing. New graduates, armed with knowledge, enthusiasm and technical skills, are often clueless about the fundamentals of the job search process and, without exception, extremely grateful for any and all help I’ve been able to offer and that gratitude always makes my day go a little better.

• 5. Anthony Fasano  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Attending a sporting event like a professional baseball or hockey game can be a great de-stresser. I have seen many societies have an event like this. Take me out to the ballgame…..

• 6. Brandon Lee  |  February 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

That’s a really great idea. I know a lot of places will give their season tickets away in a raffle of sorts.

• 7. James Trotter  |  January 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

I have seen many things done by different associations to provide an outlet for their members. Networking events, which are basically a party with no other real purpose can be a good outlet, as long as the members take them the way they are intended. In Nashville one of the associations used to do a Bowling Tournement for Charity. It was a good event and It gave the members a chance to breath and associate in a different type of competitive environment. Still another group did a volleyball tourney. My Favorite. It was a great event. Just some thoughts.